One of the last few chapters of the “Spring-Summer Fashion Trends 2016” coming your way! And today’s trend is a beautiful, romantic, feminine one. Hello to the inner romantic! Haven’t seen the previous posts of this series? Then these are the links to Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack. 1.0, Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 2.0, Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 3.0 and Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 4.0.
OK, so today we are talking gorgeous ruffles, beautiful ruching details, elegant high collars, billowy and puffy sleeves, bows, patterned laces and linen, romantic floral patterns, soft silhouettes, broderie anglaise, pearl jewellery. What are we talking about, do you wonder? We are talking VICTORIAN!
THE VICTORIAN TREND
The Victorian Trend has been in the fashion scene since Fall 2015. It is all about channeling our love for the bygone era through fashion and yet not look like straight out of a time warp! So yes, it’s romantic and involves a number of beautiful elements and yet it need not be just for the girly-girl. By incorporating any of these elements paired with modern edgier pieces, you can keep it fresh and chic.
No doubt celebs have been flaunting subtle or full-blown Victorian influences in their outfits now and then.
And the fashion editors/gurus themselves too have been seen mixing and matching Victorian pieces in their attire.
In India, with such talented designers we have had a number of Bridal couture weeks showcasing Victorian influences.
Canne Film Festival has seen our very own Sonam Kapoor flaunting the Victorian voluptious balloon gown and in what pretty forms!
DOs & DON’Ts:
- The tough part of Victorian styling is it’s pretty tricky, one wrong step and you could look as if you’re in a toddlers birthday party or worse, a fancy dress thingy! So, rule of the thumb is balance it out. Keep one Victorian piece in the attire to begin with.
- Ruffle necklines or ruched sleeve tops could be paired in unexpected ways to make it look modern. For example they could be thrown in with high-waist black leather pants. Or try pairing it with a pair of cutoffs. Screams trendy!
- High collared/turtleneck tops or dresses are elegant and super sophisticated but they could be a little restricting, so keep the element in a modern style such as a bodycon or a skater dress.
- Same thing goes with billowy or puffed sleeves: keep the design element in a modern styled dress.
- Florals are classic and super romantic. Pair the print with a bolder print to make it look modern.
- Laces could make you look like a doily. To avoid that, try out some bold colors and laces! Such dramatic chic look it can give!
- For accessories, add pearls, black velvet, bold chunky rings and hey, you could add to the romantic touch with big bold floral brooches.
- And if you are not a romantic when it comes to fashion and all that seems a tad bit overwhelming, go for dark bold vampy lips or bold makeup for that matter.
Shop the Trend
Hope you liked this post! I just cannot keep myself from sharing all of what I find, yet I had to remove some of the pieces lest it made the post longer than it already is. This trend is so close to my heart because I have loved ruffles, laces and florals and those sleeves since long, it’s just that I never got a chance to incorporate these in my outfits and honestly speaking, a few years ago I would have overlooked it as fashion. Now, I wonder why! Anyway, let me know how you liked it. And also suggest topics for new posts. Will love to hear from some of you! Till then, happy styling and happy summer!
See you soon! Lots of Love! XOXO