This is the trend which is sweeping the globe, more so this Spring-Summer 2016 and this is what we will be talking about today. Let’s share notes?
Chiffon, satin and lace-along with lots of skin-were all over the Paris runways as lingerie-inspired slipdresses, baby-doll minidresses, sheer nightshirts, rompers and lacy T-shirts with built-in molded bra cups went from in the bedroom to on-trend. Perhaps the most daring and probably the most tricky trend this season is hands down the ‘lingerie as outerwear” or to tone it down a little bit, let’s call it the “lingerie inspired” trend. How wearable it is for the regular woman next door is debatable. Some call it edgy and style for the daring while some call it risque and downright atrocious! Though it has been there since quite long, remember Liz Taylor in the slipdress in Butterfield 8? That was 1960! Or closer to now would be Madonna’s Jean Paul Gaultier conical corset which she wore in Wembley 1990!
Through all the years till now, we have seen celebs pushing the boundaries with ‘lingerie as outerwear’- flaunting the trend from subtle to sexy to scandalous!
Good or bad, you just cannot ignore its presence, it’s still a Spring-Summer 2016 Trend and it’s bigger than ever before this time. Let’s try and figure out ways to incorporate this trend from the runways and red carpets in our wardrobe, without looking errm.. skanky? Before moving on further, let me tell you that this trend doesn’t necessarily mean outrageous skin-show, it CAN be pretty classy too. Read on to find out how!
Okay! So now these are a few pointers to flaunt this trend if you want to:
- One of the most versatile lingerie pieces you could ever purchase are bodysuits. These can be combined with most of your wardrobe pieces and can be lace, lycra or plunging neckline, turtleneck, backless, etc etc etc!
- A plunge balcony bodysuit or any fitted bodysuit when paired with pants or skirt suit, blazer and red lips can give you a confident yet stylish loo for office!
- Lacy bodysuits are perfect for those night outs and easy breezy brunches when paired with wide-bottom pants.
- Now coming onto the next piece, which is the cami-dress or slip dress. You can always layer a lace-trimmed slip under a dress or skirt. Some women will even wear a sheer dress with a slip underneath, but if that’s too adventurous, guess a subtle peek of lace is just as good.
- Take hints from Rooney Mara’s outfit (above). Recreate the outfit by wearing a black lace slip under your trusted LBD. With the lace peaking out from above and below, you are get the bestest deal!
- Next up, is the category merging bras, bralettes, corsets, bustiers. Wear silk camisoles, bralettes, bra tops, and bustiers under a jacket to keep them daytime-friendly.
- For a casual look, wear a criss-cross strappy bra (think Marlies Dekkers) under a tank top with jeans.
- If you like bright colors you can wear a neon colored bra under a semi-sheer blouse (not too sheer).
- For nighttime a black sheer blouse over a pretty bra top can be seductively elegant.
- Lastly let’s walk through some edgier stuff.
Phewww!! That was quite a daring lot! Well, if you are up for it, then go for the “Underwear as Outerwear” trend. It isn’t for everybody, I know and it isn’t for the fashion-wise faint-hearted, but I hope I could convince you that it’s definitely not just and just risque and outrageous. It is definitely worth trying even for the most understated fashionistas! Let me know if I missed out on anything or if you have other ideas.
Have you been through the other posts on this series- Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack. 1.0, Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 2.0, Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 3.0, Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 4.0 and Lust-haves! From Ramp to Rack 5.0? Do read ’em for more fashion stuff. Till then, Happy styling and Happy fashion-experimenting!
Lots of Love! XOXO